Monday 26 March 2012

Review: Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand

Genre: Fantasy YA
Publication Date: January 17, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Source: Loaned from Library
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Goodreads Summary:
For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

In this compelling sequel to "Unearthly," Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.


My Opinion
After reading Unearthly, I knew I just had to read Hallowed to find out what happened to Clara and gang after her disastrous purpose. Cynthia Hand did not disappoint me in her second book in the series. It feels that she has taken her characters to another level, with a added element of surprise here and there AND lots more emotions.

In Hallowed, we continue to follow Clara on her continuous journey to find out what her purpose really was and if she was being punished for having failed to fulfilled it during the "fire episode" in Unearthly. Then she had another vision -- someone close to her was dying. This made her heartbroken and difficult to cope, especially when she knew for sure who that person was.

And guess who's at her doorstep one fine day and filled her with so much happiness and help her tide through her sorrows? You will have your answers when you read Hallowed! Oh... I missed out the danger: Samjeeza & Black Wings. They just had to make the situation worse...

Overall, Hallowed is a fantastic read. In my opinion, it is even better than Unearthly. Once again, I was struggling with Team to side with. I was Team Tucker in Unearthly but... I'm Team Christian now. I'm touched by what he did for Clara. Truly. He was able to understand Clara for what she was (perhaps because they were the same kind) and always there for her to lend her his support. Hallowed evoked so many emotions within me when I read it. I remembering wanting to tear up when I was reading on the train! So beware, unless you want to cry in public, please read the book in the comfort of your own home.

5/5 Stars for Hallowed!

Get a copy:

2 comments:

  1. I saw this book while window shopping for books the other day. I thought it was interesting. Reading your review makes me want to buy this book. I'll look for the first book when I visit that bookstore again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is indeed an interesting series. I'll keep a lookout for your future Unearthly series reviews. :)

      Delete