Friday, 27 April 2012
Review + Giveaway: The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen
Publication Date: February 16, 2012
Rating: 3/5 Stars
Buy: Amazon, Book Depository
Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss in this charming romantic comedy
Ella is nearly invisible at the Willing School, and that's just fine by her. She's got her friends - the fabulous Frankie and their sweet cohort Sadie. She's got her art - and her idol, the unappreciated 19th-century painter Edward Willing. Still, it's hard being a nobody and having a crush on the biggest somebody in the school: Alex Bainbridge. Especially when he is your French tutor, and lessons have started becoming, well, certainly more interesting than French ever has been before. But can the invisible girl actually end up with a happily ever after with the golden boy, when no one even knows they're dating? And is Ella going to dare to be that girl?
Why I bought the book: The "Anna and the French Kiss" in the summary shown on Goodreads + the cute cover. I've totally enjoyed reading Anna and the French Kiss and that line in the summary caught my attention. Totally.
This book is about Fiorella Marino (Ella) is a girl who's obsessed with Edward Willing, a 19th century artist, and enjoys her solidarity talk with him alone. (Talk about weird) She's also writing on him for her thesis. In addition, she's at the bottom of the social heap in school and nobody pay much attention to her. Not until she picked up Alex Bainbridge's textbook and tried to return to him and incidentally received a whack by the back of the chair he was sitting on. (Ouch) Ella has a group of 2 very close friends Sadie and Frankie and they always play a game of truth or dare. (Ella always choose truth by the way). She said that it was the way of asking about one another and show concern. (It's fun to read some of the truths and dares they did). Ella's French tutor assigned a French "tutor" for her since her grades are dropping. Guess who it is? ;) Oh! And Ella has a scar that she is really self-conscious of and she was kinda given a nickname for it... (talk about bad nicknames...) So, how will thinks work out between all of them in school?
Perhaps it was just cause it was said that there's an element of Anna and the French Kiss in it, that I have some sort of expectation for this book. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. However, The Fine Art of Truth or Dare is an enjoyable comedy read. I've enjoyed reading Ella's French coaching session and the interaction between Ella and you-guess-who. I also love reading the close friendship bond between Ella, Sadie and Frankie. Friends stick together through thick and thin and forgive each other. That's true friendship. What got me a raised brow was Ella's chit-chat session with Edward. Well, imagine talking to a dead person... Overall, I've enjoyed reading Ella's thoughts and emotions and she struggled through her thesis and her crushes (note the plural).
This book is for those who enjoy a contemporary read with an artsy feel to it. :)
- Truth (according to Edward Willing): People who rely on first sight are either lazy or deluded.
- I wondered what adjectives were sliding through his mind while his parents looked at him expectantly. This is Ella. She's, um...well, weird, a social misfit, intrusive at best, and potentially stalker-psychotic.
- “sometimes no matter how many eyelashes or dandelion seeds you blow, no matter how much of your heart you tear out and slap on your sleeve, it just ain't gonna happen.”
More about the author:
A chance to win a copy:
- Giveaway is international.
- GFC Follow not required but much appreciated. ;)
- Winner will be notified via email and will have 48 hours to respond with mailing address before the winning draw is forfeited and a new winner will be chosen.
- Winner will receive my read copy of the book.
- Please do not leave your email or personal details in the comments section. Please use the rafflecopter form to enter the draw.
- Giveaway will end on 5/12. (See the countdown on the form)
- Kindly note that the book will take 6-10 weeks to arrive (I'm using the much cheaper shipping option) but I'll add a tracking option so the package can be tracked.
- Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway