Wednesday 25 April 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2) by Julie Kagawa

Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: August 1, 2010
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Rating: 5/5 Stars!
Buy: Amazon, Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


My Opinion
The second book is all about Meghan Chase and her stay in the Unseelie Court, a deal she made with Ash for helping her to save her brother Ethan. Meghan met the Winter Queen, together with the Princes and Ash turned out to be very cold to her, much to her shock and hurt. Many things happened and the elder prince wound up dead when several Iron Fey came to steal the Sceptor of Seasons, handed over to the Unseelie Court from the Seelie Court as it was the time for winter. Queen Mab blames Oberon for the theft and declared war against the Seelie Court. Ash helped Meghan escape and was considered a traitor for helping the enemy and harming one of his own... Will they be able to recover the Sceptor before everything was too late?

I was confused by Ash behavior towards Meghan. Weren't they supposed to be together? That was what I really thought and I can't help myself and fume on behalf of Meghan, not that she wasn't hurt by his actions. Imagine my relief when the reason was later revealed. Julie Kagawa did a really good job with the emotions and the scenes. Book 2 of Iron Fey series is action-packed and a total page turner. I really couldn't put down the book once I started it and it was the same for the first book as well. The total unpredictable nature of the story keeps me on the edge of my chair and propelled me to turn the pages to find out what would happen next. If you have enjoyed The Iron King, you will LOVE this book.

Quotes
- “I seem to remember a certain someone swearing that she couldn't dance at all. Obviously I must have been with her twin sister, because i was expecting you to step on my toes all night. Been taking lessons, Princess?"

- Puck threw Ash a mocking smile. “You look like crap, Prince. Did you miss
me?”
Ash frowned, stabbing a faery that was clawing at his feet. “What are you
doing here, Goodfellow?” he asked coldly, which only caused Puck’s grin to widen.
“Rescuing the princess from the Winter Court, of course.” Puck looked down
as the wire-fey piled on the squealing boar, ripping and slicing. It exploded into a pile of leaves,
and they skittered back in confusion. “Though it appears I’m saving your sorry ass, as well.”
“I could’ve handled it.”
“Oh, I’m sure.” Puck brandished a pair of curved daggers, the blades clear as
glass. His grin turned predatory. “Well, then, shall we get on with it? Try to keep up, Your
Highness.”
“Just stay out of my way.”

- “Well, this should be easy, then.” Puck smirked. “We’ll just stroll in the front door, waltz up to Virus, grab the scepter, have some tea and save the world before breakfast. Silly me, thinking it would be hard.”

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the whole Iron Fey series but my favourite book would be Iron Queen! (Just because there are so many swoon-worthy scenes between Ash and Meghan!)

    Awesome review, Michelle! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read-worthy! Now I just need to grab a copy... I can't bear the wait...

      Delete
  2. :) it seems like were both reading the same books at the same time! Wonderful review! I totally adore how unpredictable this series is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It's going to get better (I think). Looking forward to reading The Iron Queen! <3

      Delete
  3. I loved this series so much! It gets better and better with each book. Wait until you read The Iron Queen and The Iron Knight. ;) I was pissed off at Ash in the beginning to but his actions have reasons. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my copy of The Iron Queen already. Can't wait to devour it. <3

      Delete
  4. I need to read this book. Bought the boxed set but didn't get past the first book. People told me The Iron Daughter is not very good. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete