Friday 1 March 2013

{Friday Book Spotlight} Monster Mirror by Isabella Macotte


Monster Mirror by Isabella Macotte
Paperback, 312 pages
Published February 15th 2013
Buy: Amazon, Kindle

A plan to keep evil from spilling out into the world is tested…

In a world where terrifying creatures roam the night, all seventeen-year-old Mia wants is a quiet summer in safe, supernatural-free Cape Livingston. After a wrong turn into an unknown area, she learns the Cape isn’t as predictable as expected.

Mia must protect herself from the paranormal world ready to destroy her life by using everything she’s learned from the horror movies she watches.

Will her training be enough to tip the scale in her favor? Will her choice between the boy she loves or the boy determined to deliver her as a Swap be the right one? Is her future with the Monster Mirror inevitable?

And we have a little excerpt for you!

I live in a world filled with paranormal creatures. They showed up almost twenty years ago. That’s when the Reveal happened.

Hollywood stopped making new horror films when the real things showed up, so I catch my supernatural education from the net’s streaming movies. “Mia,” my mom used to say a lifetime ago, “stop with all the scary movies already. Switch to rom-coms.” No way. Maybe all this interest in the supernatural was premonition and preparation for me.


Hi Isabella, thanks for stopping by today for a short interview! *grins*


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? 
I’m a young adult novel writer, big-time reader, major multi-tasker, and karma believer. Always searching for the perfect place to live: the excitement of NYC out the front door of my house, the beauty and quiet of the Rocky Mountains out the back door. Still haven’t found this place!

Describe your book in a sentence. 
Mia must use all her paranormal knowledge to fight against evil, or she’ll become one with it.

What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
 
Like a mom with lots of kids, I love each chapter equally for all its special qualities. One scene that beta readers found especially fun, though, was when Mia puts together a protection jacket. Each pocket is filled with special objects that afford protection against both worldly and otherworldly foes. Here’s a memorable line by Mia: My prize was a verbena and concentrated garlic oil vial around my neck. Hopefully the little bottle wouldn’t break and open up all over my shirt.  If I was going to die, at least I’d like to smell decent.

Do you work with an outline, or just write? 
I make a basic outline for the story, so I can get the scenes in order. Then I expand from that and usually just write.

What do you do when you are not writing?
I work in a library. :)
(Michelle: That's totally cool!!)

Do you buy a book by the cover?
A cover may grab my attention, but I don’t buy a book based on the cover.

If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
 I’d pick a comedian to make me laugh, a survival expert to make my time on the island safe and warm, and the strongest person in the world to build a cute house and make it comfortable on the island. I might not want to leave!

What project are you working on now?
I’m working on dual projects. Book two, Heart Compass, in my romance series, and Monster Mirrors, book two in the Swap series.



You can find out more about Isabella at: Blog, Twitter, Facebook

1 comments: