Monday 27 February 2012

Survival, a YA Paranormal Romance (The Guardians of Vesturon Series, Book #1) by A.M. Hargrove

Genre: Paranormal YA + Romance
Publication Date: November 15, 2011
Format: ebook
Source: Received a copy through Read it & Reap at Goodreads
Rating: 4/5 Stars 

Goodreads Summary:
"Maybe I was caught between the two worlds. I was having serious trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality." 

While on a backpacking trip in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, nineteen-year-old Maddie Pearce finds her world has been thrown into a vortex and is madly spinning toward the impossible. Abducted by a mad psychopath, Maddie narrowly escapes with her life. But that is only the beginning. Her mysterious rescuer introduces her to a world that Maddie has difficulty accepting as reality. Will this strikingly gorgeous stranger be the key to her future or will she return to her mundane world, scarred from her experience? Follow Maddie as she is forced to make difficult decisions that carry her to mysterious places. 

Excerpt… 

Then, unexpectedly, three brightly glowing melon-sized balls of light came soaring across the dark sky. When they were a few feet away from me, they elongated into long thin slivers. Moments later, the slivers expanded and then took form into three indistinct shapes. 

I kept blinking my eyes, not trusting what I was seeing. I was positive I was hallucinating. This must be what happens right before you die. 

Then, the indistinct shapes morphed into three men—three very tall, powerfully built men. They were identical in that they were all dressed alike—wearing black hooded cloaks that fell to their ankles. The hoods hid their faces, but I had the strangest feeling they were there to help me.



My Opinion:
One thing I don't like about this book is the constant change of POV in the first half of the book. The scene alternates between Maddie, the villian and Rayn. Though it gives insights as to what each character is feeling, in my opinion, the scenes are somewhat retold. 

But it got better towards the second half of the book where the POV turns consistent. Clumsy Maddie is seriously interesting to read! The bond between Rayn and Maddie is strong and unbreakable (it's sort of a instant connection between the two of them). And the author left me hanging at the end!! Now I need the second book to know what will happen to Maddie and Rayn. 

Overall, a pleasant read with a tinge of comedy (Maddie) in it. This book has potential in it. 




Get a copy: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment